Friday, November 02, 2007

Flashback Friday: My mother almost ruined my life



Like all junior high girls I went though crushes like Angelina Jolie gets babies. Eighth grade was a turning point for me. I still had braces but my buck teeth* were now straight and I had gained confidence in my extreme makeover. My gaze fell on a shy blond haired green eyed boy named Jason Stoneman. I looked forward, every morning during my block English class, that I would see him. He was an office aide during 2nd period and would get our pink attendance sheet. On good days he would have a note for the teacher and I would get to watch him walk into the class to give the teacher a note. Those were days that I felt like God was smiling on me and I would hope my hot pink Esprit bag would catch his eye. He was perfection in his tight acid washed jeans and perfectly combed hair. I would tune out the lecture of pronouns and punctuation (oh my gosh, maybe that’s why I still suck at all this) and I would doodle on the brown paper bag book cover. I would doodle Jason’s name in cursive then in bubble letters. I would then drift to the future where I would need to practice my signature with his last name bound to mine for eternity. And of course before the bell rang it would only be fitting that I would name all of our children with hearts dotting the I’s.
One day while keeping one eye on copying spelling words off the chalk board and the other on the attendance sheet that my beloved would pick up, HE suddenly walked in. My heart raced being that near him but something seemed wrong. Jason’s face looked an odd shade of red and his sparkly green eyes never left the floor. He walked quickly to my teacher and quickly out the door.
“Rebecca!” My teacher snapped me back to reality. “The office attendant just brought in your spelling book. Your mother said you left it at home.”
If ever there were a time that I could have willed the second coming it would have been the moment I realized that Jason Stoneman had discovered that he had a stalker who had named his children and had perfected her married signature.

I of course blamed this embarrassing moment on my mother but quickly forgave her when Jason and I started “going out” a few months later. We were even caught by the janitor having our first kiss out by the church dumpster. (I was such a tramp.) Tragically, and I know shockingly, our junior high romance ended. (sorry to spoil the end of the book for some of you)
This picture above is like gold to me. It proves that I at one time in my life I participated in a team sport. Although it's obvious by my painted nails and non-scuffed knee pads that it was more important to me to have just the right crunchiness in my hair then diving for the ball.
*Matt used to call me "Bucka" in grade school. But don't tell anyone. I don't want it to start again.

20 comments:

Lindsay said...

Love the bangs... and I'm pretty sure we all had a book or two like that!!
Totally remembering my own ESPRIT bag and acid washed jeans!

Did you have a Swatch Watch??

Valerie of Momia said...

Don't worry, Bucka, I won't tell anyone!

Great story! Jr. high stories are wonderful. What a crazy time of life!!

Alida said...

I recognized you right away. I must say as cool as pink espirt bags were, you are way cooler now!

Somehow, as dainty and girly as you are, I have the feeling that you'd seriously kick butt in sports. Just I feeling I get from you.

February Jill said...

Becca, how could you have played volleyball and never told me!!! Don't you know that a very important component of volleyball is having your hair just right? You were off to a great career, what happened?

Ona said...

I finally threw away those book covers of my own. I had a box from when my mom moved. I went through it when I was getting ready for the garage sale and dumped them. How funny girls do this. Cant wait to see my girls book covers as they get older...much older.

Team Johnston said...

Jr. high was such a crazy time! I tried volleyball in jr. high but not one of my favorites. I had fun making the book covers too! :)
~Danielle :)

Julie said...

I never get tired of hearing this story... EVERY girl has done this, right? I was going to have twin girls, Brittany and Breanne. How clever was I? Thankfully none of my boyfriends found out!

Good 'ol Mom... hey, at least she came through with the braces! You certainly don't look like a "Bucka" in your volleyball picture! What a cutie, the bangs just can't get any higher!!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine why I thought you needed that spelling book. Maybe you had an assignment in it?
You weren't a bad Volley Ball player. I think you just got interested in drama and music in High School.

Stephanie said...

I was caught kissing a boy in a church basement (not my first kiss, but it was his). Mortifying.

Unknown said...

I totally love your bangs! Such a fun post to read. Matt told me once that he used to call you "Bucka"...I told him he was mean!

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

What's it like to be tall? I've always wondered. The bangs add two inches, but seriously...is life good up there?

Rachel said...

I'm like totally jealous that like your mom could like totally embarrass you like that and like you still like get the cute guy!?!?! WHATEVER!!!!

Michelle said...

I would buy your book! You are very good with words... I, too, could relate to your experience... esprit, acid washed jeans, writing my name with a guys last name... the total Jr. High life. I wouldn't do it again for a million dollars. :-)

Kim H. said...

How funny - I'm so impressed that you remember all of those details!

Tiffany said...

Ahhhh...the simplicity of young love (yet it seemed so complicated back then, didn't it?)! Love the story, and love the "sunflower bangs" even more!

Shannon said...

I feel like going surfing on that wave.

LizzyG said...

love how you recalled all the details. It brought to mind some similar memories of my own (except for the kiss, I didn't have my firs kiss till 17!)

Lion Heart said...

Love the pic! You were so pretty even with braces and bangs!

Stacey said...

Ha! I absolutely remember Jason Stoneman by name if not by face. If somebody on the street would have asked me I would have paused, thought it sounded familiar, and likely attached it to some 80's family sitcom star. Still, thanks for the flashback. You hussy!