Monday, January 25, 2010

Rip My Guts Out

This post is long over due. It has needed to be written and even though I've had lots of little funny gems that I could have stalled with . . . I knew in my ever-lovin' blog writing heart that my next subject needed to be about my upcoming hysterectomy. I think I've hesitated because I don't want to become one of those elderly men that you smile to on the street and ask rhetorically "how are you today sir?" and then they start telling you about their flare up of gout or latest patch of hemorrhoids.
So if you are one of those people who gets a case of the wabbles by listening to feminine issues you might want to skip this post and watch this link of the fire works over the Disney castle and all will be marshmallows and sunshine again. If you are unsure if you should continue reading, here is a test. Do any of these words make you uncomfortable?
Menstral Cycle (I bet I lost a few with that one already)
Kotex Pad
Uvula (I challenge you to look this up if you don't know what this is. We all have 'em)
Pap Smear
Speculum
Fallopian Tube
Mucus Plug (Ok I think someone out there just fainted)

Truly I won't be using any of these words but they were fun to write. Here at Glory Laine we always try to be educational without being textbook boring so this will again be another riveting series to further uncover just how completely and utterly screwed up my body is. So if you like self deprecating humor as much as I do . . . please follow along with my "Rip My Guts Out" updates.

My story begins like most all women's. . . I have a lot of pain but then I self diagnosis and say things like, "I'm sure it's nothing", "It will go away", "I'll just double my dose of ibuprofen and my world is flowers and hearts again.", "Going to the doctor is too hard. With finding childcare and having to bear ones soul and getting naked in a public place and describing pains that come and go makes me feel like a hypochondriac." Anyway, all that to say I've been letting warning signs go way too long and finally at the end of my rope I called my doctor and arranged childcare and answered all the invasive questions and much to my surprised found out that my body wasn't lying after all. It is in distress and was pissed at me for not listening to it.

An ultra sound gave just a peak to the disaster that is taking place inside me. Normally a woman uterus and ovaries are floating freely and carelessly inside her abdomen. In mine it showed that my endometriosis is having some kind of frat party on my reproductive system and has essentially fastened all of my organs together in to one big sphere of havoc. A total hysterectomy is indeed the only answer to ending the endometriosis that is now invading my other vital organs. Timing is amazing because as ya'll read this summer I don't need "the oven" anymore. The endo has even started to take over my intestines and that's were I found out the most devastating news of all: I have to have a colonoscopy. "Devastating" might be a tad dramatic but still it's very far off my "thing I want to do before I die" list.

So I've had my consultation with the gastroenterologist (surely all those smart people could have come up with a better self-descriptive title.) And I can't even tell you the sarcastic joy it brought me to sit in his office and have a detailed chat about all the in's and OUTS about me. And of course Dr. "Gas" is about my age, and slightly attractive and now knows more about me than . . . well . . . anyone. He asked me about family history with Celiac Disease. Just so happens my maternal grandfather had it. Doctor looks curious and says, "looks like you've also suffered from infertility. You should have already been checked for this." So he sent me on my way with orders to have yet another test done. And wouldn't you know it . . . I came back positive for Celiac just on Friday. And this my friends changes everything. I now am on a strict gluten free diet. No wheat, rye, barley and all of the derivatives that I have yet to learn or pronounce. I'm learning just how serious this disease is as it can lead to cancer and an increased risk in miscarriages. Dr. "Gas" let me know again just how miraculous it was that I was able to carry Tobin; and twins to term. . . was just a phenomenon. Thankfulness all over again.

So next on the list is to add an endoscopy with the colonoscopy. I'm going to be strung like a roasted chicken . . . don't picture that . . . I mean it! Stop! Right Now!

Dr. "Gas" is doing a biopsy to see how much damage my years of gluten consumption has done. Then gives his report to Dr. "Gyno" where he decides how invasive surgery will have to be. No dates have been set although both Doctors agree that this all is going to happen fast.

In the mean time all the kids need to be tested too. I have a feeling this has been the cause of all of Jabes issues. I would really love to hear from any of you who have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease or a total hysterectomy at an early age. Please leave a comment and let me know how I can get ahold of you.

Both doctors say that I have learned to live with pain and discomfort all my life and that in a few month I might just learn what normal feels like. Yeah normal. If you just need to know more about Celiac Disease, Elisabeth Hasselback does a great segment on The View about it.


19 comments:

Dawn said...

Hi Becca, I have had neither of your problems but I have heard rave reviews of a website called Hyster Sisters http://www.hystersisters.com/ so please check it out!
Hugs, Dawn

Rachel @ Lautaret Bohemiet said...

Oh, girl. I'm so sad for you.

I don't have Celiac, but I do have Crohns Disease and have had more colonoscopies than you could count on your fingers and toes. I have all sorts of helpful advice, if you want it, but really, the procedure itself isn't bad at all - it's the preparation. My email is on my blog if I can offer any support to you.

I also have endometriosis and in May, I had a huge surgery, during which they discovered the disease had spread to both ovaris, the utuerus, my bladder and bowl. Not fun stuff. I am (by way of a total miracle) pregnant now with our 1st. I've been told that I should be able to carry a child (or 2 or 3) full term, if I have them one right after the other, but after that, it is a hysterectomy for me as well. I feel your pain, and I ache for what you're going through, because I know it is a huge mental and emotional lifestyle adjustment, not to mention the healing time it will take for your little body to cope with everything.

You are very brave to write about all of this, and even though you're in the thick of it now, it will all be over soon and you'll be able to rest and be healed.

You are in my prayers.

Anne said...

Becca,
First of all, you are a phenominal writer...so fun to read!
I am excited for you to experience "normal". This sounds like quite a journey but you'll get there. You are now armed with so much knowledge, direction and advice (seriously, do all the cute doctors hang out in the most embarassing departments?!). You totally got this one! We are cheering you on!

red-headed Wilson's said...

Becca, if you need some help with gluten free foods that taste. . , well that actually "taste" let me know. I will try to help. Dee

Christi said...

Yes, I know that exact feeling of putting off my own health because there diapers to change and meals to prepare and marker drawings to scrub off the furniture. I'm glad you finally got in there and there will be a solution to all this horrible stuff. This must be all so overwhelming right now, but I know just like you have done your whole life you will face one thing at a time and gain strength from the Lord. Praying for you now.

crystalkupper said...

I will buy you a GF cookbook and watch your children for you! Or I could write you a song. I'm afraid that is all the help I can offer. But you know we all love you and will do whatever it takes to help!

littlecbsmom said...

I enjoyed your post, great information. I have a couple of friends going gluten free, it is definitely growing, or like the video said, just getting diagnosed more!

I will be praying for you and the upcoming surgery and the new lifestyle for you and your family!

Jenny vick said...

we do not have celiacs..but, Hana has been diagnosed with wheat, eggs, peanuts, dairy, and banana allergies. If you added all gluten and citrus..she would be there. It was tough..but as we have changed her diet she hasn't had to use her inhalers..be on steroids...her exhema is gone..(note i don't even know how to spell these things). Changing her diet has changed her life. So if you do find that Jabe has sensitivities..let me know..i've got oodles of recipes...and for you too...oodles!And they are yummy..i eat them..even with no gluten or eggs..amazing!

Lindsay said...

Oh Becca, you make something so terrible, so fun to read. Love your humor, girl.
That said, I am so sorry you have to go through this, and I truly pray things go smoothly for you and that you feel like a million bucks after it's all done.

Angela said...

You are a funny gal!

Erin said...

So sad, but really exciting that you're getting taken care of!!! It's such a hard stage of motherhood where it really does seem too hard to be proactive about our own health. But if we're healthy, we're better moms! I would be happy to watch your kids any time! I'm right down the road, my daughter is in the class right next door to Tobin, and I'm pretty sure my 4 year-old daughter would be fast friends with your twins - it's a match made in heaven!

Stefanie said...

I have a few of those symptoms too - maybe I'll get tested. You've been through the gamut and I feel for ya sista. We are going to find some great NEW treats for you:)

The Theisen Twosome said...

If you really love pasta we have found a gluten free one that we really like. I found it at the health food section at Fred Meyer. It is a quinoa pasta that doesn't taste any different than regular pasta. I think I like it more. We have tried the brown rice type and like the quinoa style better.

Kelli said...

Becca, I am at this very moment going thru the celiac issues with you though it's not full blown celiac, Liam has wheat and dairy issues. It's a difficult transition but not unbearable. Call me and I will help you! I have found some great cookbooks and awesome resources here in town and in Portland for shopping. Jay is about the only one in the house that still eats a wheat diet. Larissa and I cheat every once in awhile but I refuse to be a short order cook! Seriously, call me and we'll talk!

February Jill said...

Hey Becca,
I am so sorry for all of these things that you have to go through! My hope and prayer for you is that when you come out the other side of all this that you will be living in a place of relief and joy that you have the knowledge and the ability to move past this. And I think that the fact that you may be able to diagnose Jabe and help him at such a young age is a gift.

Love you. And seriously, I want to help during your recovery. Remember when Tobin and Elsa were 6 weeks old and you would come over and care for both of them after my appendicitis? I would love the opportunity to make that up to you. It meant so much to me.

Love you, Jill

shaneandmalia said...

Hey Becca,
Colonoscopy, been there, drink the small bottle, its the most horrible drink you have ever tasted but its a small amount, versus the big bottle of nasty. Also my friends daughter was diagnosed with Celiac if you want her number let me know.

Malia

Troy said...

You lost me-- or I lost my lunch-- at mucus plug. GACK!
Oh, and to your comment on my blog...
"That's what she said."

Anonymous said...

Hello Becca,
I don't know you and I think I accidently clicked on your blog link from Lindsay's blog...but here I am and I have some info for you if you would like. My sister-in-law was diagnosed with a severe case of Celiac's disease last year and has become an amazing resource of info on the subject. Her doctor actually said that he could not give her more info than she had becuase of all the research she has done. From where to shop, how she eats, to cross contamination issues she has so much to share. She lives in the greater Portland area and I know that even not knowing you she would love to share what she knows. You can email me at begettmann@gmail.com for her contact info if you would like.
Elisha~

Leah Amsberry said...

Hi Becca, Matt said you were having surgery but I didn't realize to what extent:( I have dealt with stomach/Intestinal issues since I was 21 but nobody really knows how to fix it, I am sure I have been tested for Celiac. God knows I have been through the gamut of tests for 20 yrs now. I also had endometriosis and 3 laparoscopies to help with that. It finally got to the point where I saw a new doctor and she said she could tell just from my exam that my Uterus was adhered to my insides. It was virtually immobile...how could everyone else miss that? Anyway, I had my hysterectomy last November and went through most of it pretty well. I am thinking of you and praying the process is not too extensive. I think a huge part of it is trusting in your doctor and the decisions they make.
Having chronic health issues does make you feel like an old lady...I hear you!
Hope to see you on Friday!